Interested in becoming part of the England Talent Pathway?
We are always looking for new talented boccia players, so please get in touch if you think you have what it takes to be an elite boccia player. Please consider whether you are:
- Classifiable in BC1-4
- A creative thinker
- Keen to learn
- Have the desire to progress in the sport
If so, please get in touch at: firstname.lastname@example.org
England Talent Pathway
The England Talent Pathway is designed to find and develop future Paralympic medalists and help athletes to achieve their fullest potential. This pathway is designed to give English players the best opportunity to progress in the sport up to a world class standard.
This is our talent screening process; we screen hundreds of players each year with a view to finding a small number of players to join the pathway. Players are screened over two phases: one in their local environment i.e. school, competition, club etc. If successfully identified they will be invited to phase two which happens within our academy structure. At phase two they will spend more time with a qualified coach to determine their future potential. We assess players in four key areas: technical, tactical, physical and mindset.
The academies form the biggest section of the pathway. Selected players get regular access to high level coaching within their region. We currently have 5 Academies which deliver a series of camps throughout the year. The academies are an entry route into the ETP and provide a platform for new and experienced players to interact and train together with a collective goal of developing talented BC1-4 players.
- Newcastle Upon Tyne
The top of the pathway for those who have the potential to progress into the World Class Programme operated by Boccia UK. This section has 3 different tiers:
- England Performance Group: The EPG brings together the most talented players from all of the academies to receive high performance coaching at a centralized venue with a paid high performance coach. The EPG is designed to develop a player’s ability to play and thrive as part of a pair or team. Players in the EPG have the opportunity to be selected to represent England at non-ranking international competitions.
- Unlock: We work closely with the Talented Athlete Scholarship Scheme (TASS) to provide additional services to selected players including strength and conditioning, physiotherapy, psychology, lifestyle and nutrition support. Each year we will select players for Unlock who access these services at their most local TASS Accredited Centre. This holistic approach to player development is critical for players to be able to reach their potential.
- Unlock+: A small number of players will be offered 1-2-1 coaching in their home environment for up to 4 hours per week with a high performance coach. These players will also receive Unlock services and will attend the EPG camps.
The Performance Transition Programme (PTP) provides the opportunity for interface and collaboration between Boccia England talent programmes and the World Class Programme to develop players capable of contributing to Boccia UK’s medal targets at major tournaments. The PTP is designed to bridge the gap between Boccia England and the World Class Programme.
Athletes are identified by the Boccia England in conjunction with Boccia UK will receive a bespoke selection of camps, additional services and competition opportunities. The athlete will get targeted support relevant to them as an individual to accelerate performance.
Boccia England works closely with Boccia UK who operate the World Class section of the pathway. They are responsible for:
- Formulating and implementing a World Class Performance Plan for Boccia UK
- Preparing British athletes and teams for participation in world ranking events with the aim of qualifying a BC1/2 Team, BC3 Pair and BC4 Pair and individual athletes for the Paralympic Games.